Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Color Purple

In the novel The Color Purple, the main character Celie lives in the south taking place in the early 1900’s. She has been raped multiple times by her own father. Having two kids with him, and being robbed of them both times, Celie is married off to a man she hates and doesn’t even know his name. Celie believes in doing what she is told, and never disobeying(traditional customs). She sustains being raped many times, multiple beatings, and hard labor. While her sister escaped this fate, Celie remains. If you were put in the same situation, and under the pressure of the traditional customs of the 1900’s would you conform or try to escape?

4 comments:

  1. Even though it would be dangerous, I would try to escape. Living a life filled with fear, pain and stress is not what I want. If I had a sister who successfully escaped, I would believe I could as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being put into the same situation as Cellie, I would try to escape. Seeing that my sister can escape, show that I can choose my own fate. I don't think I would regret disobeying the traditional customs. The reason for that is because of the damage it has caused me. By disobeying, I am able to give myself respect and live the way I want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would try to escape. Because I would want to get away from every sadness and painful life I would live like Cellie. If seen a sister running away for a better life It will give me strength to do the same and look for a better future for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Escape. Being in a situation such as callies would cause so much pain and sufering. No one deserves to be put through what she has. People should have the right to do as they please and not be pushed around like a slave.

    ReplyDelete